Saturday, February 20, 2010

What Others Think

I was just remembering a trip we took to Jamaica in 2000.  Our daughter was getting married in Jamaica and the whole family made the trip to see the wedding on the beach.

When we arrived in Jamaica, we had to go through customs.  My husband gets very anxious when he doesn't know where he is and when a lot of people are around him.  He begins to moan and all you can do is try to comfort him.  I was holding his hand and had my arms around him and was trying to calm him down.  In the next line was an older couple.  The husband came over to us and said to us "you two should get a room".  At first I was dumbfounded that a person would do this.  After I regained my composure, our daughter watched over her Dad while I went over to the man.  I was so furious I could hardly contain my anger but I told him in no uncertain terms that what he did was very rude and explained to him that my husband had a brain injury and all I was trying to do was to keep him calm.  His face turned red and he turned his back on me. 

It is hard to go out in public because people stare at my husband's behavior and I have gotten to the point that we don't go out in public anymore.  It is hard on him and it is doubly hard on me.  I must say though, that there are a lot of wonderful, understanding people and most of the time they assume that he has suffered a stroke.  I haven't lost faith in people, I have just learned that there are some people who don't understand and I usually can tell and I stay away from people like that.

No comments: